In the Head of the northern province of Overijssel, you will find the beautiful and idyllic village of Giethoorn, located in the National Park ‘Weerribben-Wieden’. A village built on small peat islands that are connected by 176 wooden bridges. Take for example the beautiful thatched farmhouses, the narrow streets alongside canals where boats are the main means of transportation and no cars come and an unforgettable experience is born.
What can you do in Giethoorn?
Giethoorn originated as a settlement of peat miners. The peat created lakes and lakes with small islands that were only accessible over bridges or with a Gieterse punt. Even the cattle were brought to land on these punts for grazing. This picture - punts that are propelled with a water boom (punt boom) - are next to the whisper and tour boats also the image of Giethoorn in 2020. The beautiful 18th and 19th century farmhouses are visible in full glory from the water and from the narrow path that runs through Giethoorn.
Where can you eat well in Giethoorn?
You can still really enjoy culinary delights in Giethoorn. From a picnic on board, a pancake with the whole family on a terrace on the water or in a restaurant with multiple Michelin stars who will tour you during entrees and drinks through the canals of Giethoorn and its enclosing Natural Park scenery.
Giethoorn, in the province of Overijssel, can be reached within 90 minutes by car from Amsterdam or from Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. There are plenty of free parking spaces and you can further explore Giethoorn by bicycle, on foot or by water. Do you want to be picked up, completely unburdened and make sure that you do not miss anything during your stay in Giethoorn? Then book a luxury package for 1 or more days. All you have to do is pack your suitcase and enjoy! Public transport with a special Giethoorn Express connection from the nearest historic town of Steenwijk, will drop you off right in the middle of the bustle and watercrossroads of Giethoorn to board your private whisper boat to explore the sights.
You really shouldn't miss this when visiting Giethoorn!
- 't Olde Maat Uus historical Museum Giethoorn
- The Gemstone center of the Netherlands De Oude Aarde in Giethoorn
- Punter yards Wildeboer and Schreur in Giethoorn
- Blokzijl, Kuinre and Vollenhove, former Zuiderzee towns that still radiate the atmosphere of yesteryear
- Visitor center De Wieden of Natural Monuments in Sint Jansklooster
- The Buitencentrum Weerribben of Staatsbosbeheer
- The polders with beautiful farms
- Holtingerveld and the Hunebedden nature reserve in Havelte, 15 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- National Park Drenthe-Friese Wold with Appelscha - 30 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- National Park Dwingelderveld, National Parks Drenthe-distance 25 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Museum Schokland in Schokland - 30 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Orchid farm Luttelgeest - 20 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Hanseatic cities of Zwolle and Kampen - 30 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- The 11 cities in Friesland, including Leeuwarden - 40 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Bataviastad in Lelystad - 45 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Amusement park Slagharen - 50 minutes by car from Giethoorn
- Wildlands Zoo Emmen - distance 50 minutes by car