Wanneperveen- 9 km from Giethoorn 11 minutes by car
Wanneperveen is located about 7 kilometers west of Meppel and is part of the municipality of Steenwijkerland. The name Wanneperveen is first mentioned in official papers in 1284. The village therefore celebrated its 700th anniversary in 1984.
Wanneperveen is a typical example of a ribbon village. This is because it used to be located on a high moor area, which was systematically cultivated from the Meppelerdiep.
The name Wanneperveen refers on the one hand to the peat, on the other hand to a small river that used to run at the location of the village. Wan means little and epe or apa means water. The village was originally further west, but because the land became too wet due to the exploitation, the village moved east after the 15th century due to storms. A church was also built at the time.
Boats meeting point
At Wanneperveen, Waterpark Beulaeke Haven is located at a crossroads of roads and waterways. Here people live and recreate in one of the most beautiful locations in this area. The park is an important center for boat owners.